This walking tour of Greenwood Cemetery will introduce you to some of the people who have played important roles in the development of Jackson and Mississippi and others whose stories inspire and touch the heart. Some were recognized and honored during their lifetime while the contributions of others became apparent after their deaths. We invite you to step back in time and take a stroll through history.

"It is the voice of years that are gone. They roll before me with all their deeds." Ossian

map

1. Hardy's Receiving Vault In the early 20th century, this brick vault was used as temporary storage for caskets awaiting permanent interment in the cemetery. Hiram K. Hardy and his wife and son ran the undertaking company at 300 S. President Street until it was sold to Baldwin Funeral Home in 1929.
2. Confederate Memorial Burial Ground These soldiers were killed in and near Jackson during 1863 and most of the markers say "Unknown Soldier".
3. Governor Alexander G. McNutt Native of Virginia, President of the Mississippi State Senate in 1837 and Governor from 1838 to 1842. Entertained the aging Andrew Jackson during his only visit to the capital named after him.
4. Edmund Richardson A leading cotton plantation owner and industrialist who was one of the founders of the Wesson textile mill in Copiah County. His monument, carved in Italy, is the tallest in the cemetery.
5. James Hervey Boyd Mayor of Jackson 1842, 1843, 1850 and 1858. His home, "The Oaks", at 823 North Jefferson Street is a museum open to the public.
6. Morris Family Pioneer family in Jackson whose businesses include Morris Ice Company, opened in 1880 by Joseph Henry Morris.
7. Governor John Isaac Guion Notable lawyer, judge, and state senator. He served as governor in 1851.
8. Dr. Erasmus R. Burt Known as the father of the Mississippi Deaf and Dumb Institute (1854), he was a physician, legislator, and State Auditor. In 1861, he was mortally wounded in the Battle of Balls Bluff near Leesburg, Virginia, after serving as Colonel of Burt's Rifles and the 18th Mississippi Regiment.
9. Geroge Fearn He was a prosperous merchant and leader at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church where his daughter Mary was organist and choirmaster. He was Grand Master of the Grand Masonic Lodge of Mississippi in 1870-71.
10. William Mercer Green and W.M. Green, II This Grandfather and grandson were both Episcopal Bishops. The Lord's Supper on the monument was carved in Italy.
11. Robinson Family A sculpted stone angel adorns the marker of Martha Lee Robinson, remembered with affection as "Auntie." She lies next to the obelisk erected for her parents. Her father John W. Robinson was a prominent businessman in early Jackson days. One of his enterprises was the Edwards House and construction of the first mule-drawn street railway from the hotel and depot on West Capitol Street to the Capitol building on State Street in 1871.
12. Monument to a dog on Simms lot Legend has it that the dog's little mistress was buried here, and the dog faithfully attended her grave until his own death.
13. Hubert Spengler Early immigrant from Alsace for whom historic Spengler's Corner is named and location where "Bonnie Blue Flag" was first sung by Harry McCarthy.
14. R.H. Henry Pioneer journalist who with J.L. Power launched the Jackson Clarion Ledger on a permanent basis and managed it until he sold it to R.M. and T.M. Hederman in 1920.
15. Governor William Lewis Sharkey After success as a lawyer and state legislator, he was elected to the Mississippi High Court of Errors and Appeals, serving as chief justice for 18 years. He was a Whig and strong unionist who did not support the Confederate States of America. President Andrew Johnson appointed him provisional governor of the state in June 1865, and he served until December that year.
16. Reverend Amos Cleaver Native of England, he came to Jackson to open the Cleaver Female Academy. He was rector of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in 1846-47 and also served as chaplain of the State Penitentiary which was near this cemetery in his time. He died of yellow fever in 1853, and this Gothic-inspired monument in the circle is a cenotaph to his memory.
17. Governor George Poindexter Second Governor of Mississippi, serving 1820-22. A lawyer in Natchez, he was prominent in the territorial development of the state. In 1817 he was chairman of the committee that drafted Mississippi's First Constitution, and later he compiled the state's first legal code. He served as U.S. congressman and senator and was president pro tempore of the U.S. Senate in 1834.
18. James D. Lynch The first African-American to serve as a major state official when elected Mississippi Secretary of State in 1869. He was an eloquent Methodist Episcopal missionary and minister. His unique monument bears his sculpted portrait.
19. Governor Albert Gallatin Brown A lawyer, judge, U.S. Congressman, and governor from 1844-48, elected at the age of 31. He was an advocate of public education and established the University of Mississippi in 1844. During the Civil War, he organized a military company known as Brown's Rifles.

20. Redmond Vault

Dr. Sidney Dillon Redmond was a successful African-American businessman, physician, druggist, and lawyer. His first and second wives Ida Revels and Johnnie King are also buried in the white-painted brick vault, as are his sister Linnie Redmond, a public school teacher and later government clerk in Washington, brother Andrew J. Redmond, and daughter Linnie Naomi Redmond. His brother Augustus M. Redmond, pharmacist at Redmond's Drug Store on N. Farish Street, is buried in a brick vault in Section 4 of the old burial ground.

21. General Wirt Adams

Civil War Confederate Brigadier General. He commanded the 1st Mississippi Calvary with distinction. Before the war he was a banker, and after he served as a revenue agent and postmaster in Jackson. In 1888, he argued with a newspaper editor on a downtown street, each killing the other. An elaborately carved tree-stump monument marks his grave.

21a. General Daniel Weisiger Adams Critically wounded at the Battle of Shiloh, recovered and wounded twice again. Died in New Orleans in 1872, reputedly as a result of his war wounds. Lies in an unmarked grave probably next to his brother.
22. Governor Charles Lynch

He was a judge (although not a lawyer) and legislator before becoming governor in 1833 and again in 1836-38. This Panic of 1837 shook the state economy during his tenure.

23. Colonel John Logan Power Businessman and philanthropist who made the first inventory of markers in Greenwood Cemetery shortly before the Civil War. His daughter, Anabel, for many years wrote a column of reminiscences in the daily paper.
24. The Summer House

Originally used to store landscape equipment, the Summer House now serves as a meeting place for tour groups and a favorite lunch spot for volunteers and visitors.

25. Susan Jones Her inscription reads, "1820-1898, Our Mammy Sue, After serving five generations in our family with loving care and diligence she has gone to her reward."
26. Joshua Green With brother Thomas established a clothing mill at Silas Brown and Commerce Streets. The mill was visited by Grant and Sherman. When they saw "CSA" woven into the cloth, they ordered the mill to be torched.
27. Judge J.A.P. Campbell

Descended from a distinguished South Carolina family, he was legislator, soldier, statesman, and chief justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court. As author of the Mississippi Code of 1880, he was appreciated as a great legal reformer.

28. Philip Hilzheim family plot

This plot is marked by a Gothic arched entrance. Several members of the German Hilzheim family were influential in Jackson's business community in the 1840-50s.

29. Governor Abram Marshall Scott

Seventh Mississippi governor, serving from 1832 until his untimely death in 1833 in a cholera epidemic in Jackson. During his term as governor, the legislature appropriated funds for building the state capitol (now Old Capitol Museum) and governor's mansion.

30. Eudora Welty The acclaimed Pulitzer Prize winning author was born a few blocks from the cemetery. In 1925, the family moved to 1119 Pinehurst Place, now a National Historic Landmark and open to the public.